Like all YouTube content, the ads shown with this video are chosen by YouTube and do not reflect the opinions of the Freezer Challenge organizers.
The International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories (I2SL) and My Green Lab have partnered together again to run the 2020 International Laboratory Freezer Challenge! Freezer Challenge participants have already saved over 8.5 million kWh since 2017. That's enough to offset the carbon emissions associated with driving over 15 million miles!
Are you up for the challenge? If your lab uses ultra-ultra low temperature freezers (-150C), ultra-low temperature freezers (-80C), lab freezers (-40C to -20C), refrigerators, or cold rooms, you can earn points simply by taking the actions listed below. Earn 1 point for each action taken per refrigeration unit.
- Good Management Practices
- Defrosting freezers
- Cleaning out freezers and refrigerators
- Inventorying samples
- Storing samples at high density
- Temperature Tuning
- Adjusting the set point of ultra-low temperature freezers
- Storing samples at appropriate temperatures
- Retirements & Upgrades
- Retiring old refrigeration units
- Replacing older refrigeration units with energy-efficient units
- Cutting-Edge Practices
- Sharing refrigeration space with a colleague
- Barcoding samples
- Trying/adopting room-temperature sample storage
Labs will also earn points for sharing information about their own best practices regarding sample storage and inventory.
Awards will be given to those who have done the most to save energy and improve their sample storage.
The Freezer Challenge will take place between December 2019 and August 2020. Freezer Challenge score sheets will be made available upon registration. Completed score sheets are due by August 1, 2020.
This challenge is designed to encourage all laboratories to recognize the benefits of good cold storage management, such as:
- Removal of unneeded, unwanted, or non-viable samples from refrigeration units
- Reduced costs associated with maintaining refrigeration units.
- Improved researcher access to laboratory samples and reagents.
- Development of ongoing cold storage management practices that support efficiency and maximize space utility.