The International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories (I2SL) and My Green Lab have partnered together for the fifth year in a row to run the 2021 International Laboratory Freezer Challenge! Freezer Challenge participants have already saved over 9.9 million kWh since 2017. That's enough to offset the carbon emissions associated with driving over 15 million miles!
Are you up for the challenge? If your lab uses ultra-ultra low temperature freezers (-150C), ultra-low temperature freezers (-70 C to -80C), lab freezers (-40C to -20C), refrigerators, or cold rooms, you can earn points simply by taking the actions listed below. In the majority of situations, earn 1 point for each action taken per refrigeration unit.
- Good Management Practices
- Defrosting freezers
- Cleaning out freezers and refrigerators
- Inventorying samples
- Storing samples at high density
- Temperature Tuning
- Adjusting the set point of ultra-low temperature freezers
- Storing samples at appropriate temperatures
- Retirements & Upgrades
- Retiring old refrigeration units
- Replacing older refrigeration units with energy-efficient units
- Cutting-Edge Practices
- Sharing refrigeration space with a colleague
- Barcoding samples
- Trying/adopting room-temperature sample storage
Labs will also earn points for sharing information about their own best practices regarding sample storage and inventory.
Awards will be given to those who have done the most to save energy and improve their sample storage.
The 2021 Freezer Challenge will take place from January 1, 2021 to July 1, 2021 (six months). Freezer Challenge score sheets will be available beginning January 1st. All scoresheets are due by July 1, 2021.
This challenge is designed to encourage all laboratories to recognize the benefits of good cold storage management, such as:
- Removal of unneeded, unwanted, or non-viable samples from refrigeration units
- Reduced costs associated with maintaining refrigeration units.
- Improved researcher access to laboratory samples and reagents.
- Development of ongoing cold storage management practices that support energy efficiency and maximize space utility.
This promo video from 2017 (when this was the North American Laboratory Freezer Challenge) gives you an idea of what to expect! Like all YouTube content, the ads shown with this video are chosen by YouTube and do not reflect the opinions of the Freezer Challenge organizers.